Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Oh My Glory, Glory, Glory

Isn't it amazing how an ordinary day on a calendar can become very significant? July 26 is one of those days in the life of our family. It is not a holiday or any kind of special day, but it is a day of both celebration and sadness for us. Last year on July 26, my dad lost his battle with cancer. This is sad for us because he is no longer with us, but it is also a cause for celebration because he is now hanging out with Jesus.


If you knew my dad, then you can imagine that he is in a place where:



  • There is ample food (especially donuts and steak.)


  • There is always a softball game to coach.



  • There is a golf course where he is always playing his best game ever (hole-in-ones are the norm on this golf course.)



  • There is always a Southern Gospel sing-a-long going with the Gaither Homecoming people who have left the Earth.



  • There is a big TV with every channel imaginable and he can watch all he wants.


  • There is no heart disease, diabetes, cancer or any other thing that ailed him.



  • Best of all, he is in a place where he is in the constant presence of Jesus.

So, although there is a lot of sadness associated with this day because my dad is no longer here on Earth, it is also a day of celebration at his Homecoming. In the past couple of years Mark and I have suffered 3 significant losses (my dad, his mom and his brother) and when we talk about those losses, we always say how we miss our loved ones but how we don't want them back because they are in such a better place.


So in that vain of celebration, I wanted to share one of my dad's favorite songs. It was a song that was played at his funeral (at his request), but it is not a typical funeral song but it does describe the celebration that I think my dad felt as he met Jesus last year on July 26th.


Enjoy the song (and late 90's fashion and hair!) :-)





No comments:

Post a Comment