Friday, January 14, 2011

EXERCISE...A Dirty Word?

I HATE to Exercise! I don't know why, but I would rather be doing about 5 million other things than exercising. However, I do want to live as long as possible so exercise is a necessary evil toward than goal. :-) I am not certain where my dislike of exercise came from. I have never been very coordinated or good at sports so maybe that is it. I tried to play sports when I was younger but was terrible at them. The only sport that I had any success at all in playing was softball. However, even after several years of playing, I was an average player at best...although some of my former teammates might even dispute that I was even that good. Although, it is my blog and I can say whatever I want...so forget average, I was the BEST softball player that ever lived. :-)

Anyway, back to exercise, I still don't like it very much but as I blogged before Mark and I have a contract so I have been doing really well in meeting my exercise goals so far.

Although, I will never love it, here are a couple of things that I have tried that I sort of like.

ZUMBA-This seems to be incredibly popular right now and I can see why. It is pretty fun and sort of doesn't feel like you are exercising, but instead dancing at a party. I just got the Wii Zumba game and I really like it. Since I am not coordinated, this is great for me because I am sure that the moves that I am doing look nothing like what the instructor is doing. Doing the moves in the privacy of my own home lets me pretend like I look awesome doing them. :-) I also have taken a Zumba class at the YMCA with the senior citizens. Maybe sometime I will graduate to the regular Y class instead of the Silver Sneakers class. :-) My only problem with Zumba is that the Latin groove of the music makes me crave Mexican food. Not sure that exercising should make you want guacamole and enchiladas. :-)

CARDIOKE-I found this on ON DEMAND Exercise TV. I am really liking On Demand because I can try lots of different exercise programs without buying a DVD. Anyway...Cardioke is a combination of Hip Hop Cardio and Karaoke. I actually finished this workout and said, "I really enjoyed exercising tonight." Mark immediately got the thermometer and considered calling 911 because those are words that do not come out of my mouth. However, who couldn't enjoy exercising and singing "Don'tcha wish your girlfriend was hot like me." :-)

TAP-I have been taking Tap for about 3 years and it is really fun. I am really terrible at it, but I do enjoy it. We are learning a routine for a Glee song so that makes it especially fun this year.

We do have a membership at the YMCA, but I have not been there in 2011. This is mostly because of the crazy weather and our crazy schedules (which are legitimate for 2011, but does not explain why I didn't go there in November or December of 2010.) :-) I am hoping to get back there soon for some of their classes and cardio room.

I'd love to hear what others are doing to exercise that is at least tolerable! I need all the help I can get. :-)

2 comments:

  1. It's not going to be tolerable for you, but I do love running. :)

    I'm glad you're sticking with it! Do you like walking? When the weather is nice, that's a good exercise to make part of your lifestyle for the long haul, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Josh & I re-joined O'Brien. It's really hard to work it into our schedule but know that it is a must. Once we're there I really don't mind it too much. It helps to have someone to go with.

    ReplyDelete