Thursday, August 19, 2010

Big Changes!!!

I am typically not someone who likes change. I typically order the same 2 or 3 items at a restaurant, the furniture in my house will stay in the same formation for years, etc. Basically, when I find something that works, I like to stick with it. :-)

So for someone who does not like change, our family has experienced several major changes in the past 18 months. Some have been great and some have been tragic.
  • The Birth of Anna (the best change) :-)
  • The Death of Mark's Mother
  • The Death of Mark's Brother
  • The Death of My Dad
  • The Re-marriage of Mark's dad (to a really wonderful lady)

I think just about anyone would agree that is a lot in a really short amount of time. However, when you have that many major changes, in the grand scheme of things what is one more? :-) That being said, I have requested a leave of absence from teaching in the South Bend Schools for a year (I am waiting to hear from the administration whether it has been approved.) My reasons for taking this leave are two-fold. First of all, it will allow me time to take a break from the stresses of teaching and give me the flexibility to be able to focus on my family and their needs given all that has occurred in the past 18 months. Secondly, I get the opportunity to serve as the Children's Minister at Living Stones Church for the next year. I am excited to be able to use my skills and talents and educational knowledge base to serve the kids on the South Side of South Bend.

So, the Osterhouts have had 6 major changes in 18 months. I think that is enough...unless we come were to come into a large sum of money or something like that!! If that is the case, I would happily accept another major change! :-)

4 comments:

  1. I hope it is a wonderful year for you! You just may decide to never go back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to miss you a lot! But I really think it's a great opportunity for you and your family, and at least I'll still see you every week. :) You can come have lunch with me anytime you get lonely for us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is great. Being with Anna is one thing you will regret. (That's from someone who went from working 60t hours everyweek to being a stay at home momof three amazing girls) You will do wonderful1

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blessings to you, Amy... may the year ahead be a time of enrichment, reflection and renewal.

    ReplyDelete