Thursday, September 2, 2010

Homemade Cleaners...Attempt Number 2

In May, I posted my goals for the summer. One of my goals was to experiment with making my own cleaning products. I have been somewhat successful in meeting this goal and tried 3 different types of cleaners. I already posted about the toilet cleaner out of baking soda and lemon juice. We have continued to do that and really like the results. Making these cleaners is really easy and I love that it saves money and I am limiting Anna's exposure to certain chemicals. I do have several other recipes that I will try as time allows.

In June, I attempted to make Liquid Laundry Detergent and Dishwasher Soap. (I know it is now September and I did it in June...but just now getting around to blogging about it.) :-)

Let me start with Liquid Laundry Detergent. I made a 2 gallon tub of this and have about 1/4 of the tub left. We probably do 8-10 loads of laundry per week so it is definitely cost effective. Our clothes seem to be as clean and fresh as when we were using store bought laundry detergent. A couple of notes on this the Fels Naptha Soap and Arm and Hammer Washing Soda can be hard to find. I found the Fels Naptha Soap at Kroger and the Washing Soda at Martins. I am guessing that you could probably buy it online. Grating the Fels Naptha Soap was probably the hardest part, but the whole thing took about 30 minutes to make even with the soap grating. I have also heard that you can use Lava soap, but haven't tried it. Anyway here is the recipe:

1 cup Borax
1 cup Arm & Hammer WASHING Soda
1/2 bar of Fels Naptha Bar Soap
1 gallon of purified water (or rain water)

Fill a pot with 1/2 gallon purified water (or rain water) and bring to a simmer. While the water is heating, grate the soap with a cheese grater into the pot. When the soap is fully dissolved, add the Borax and Washing Soda. Stir until fully dissolved. Fill a 2 gallon container with remaining 1/2 gallon warm water. Pour in soapy solution. Fill the rest of the container with 1 gallon cold water. Stir and let sit for 2 days until it congeals. Use 1/2 cup per load or 1 cup for hard water. Can be used in high efficiency machines. If clothes are extra soiled add some OxyClean.

Dishwasher Soap-This was super easy to make, but I have not had as great of results as I would wish. We often have a little residue on our dishes after running them through the dishwasher. This could be an issue with our dishwasher or the hard water that we have in the house.
Anyway, this is the recipe:

1 1/2 Cup Borax
1 1/2 Cup Baking Soda
1 Cup Table Salt

Mix Together in a plastic container and use 1/4 cup per load. Use white distilled vinegar as a rinse aid

2 comments:

  1. Amy,

    You can find everything you need for the laundry soap at Meijer. Also, I have to recommend homemade glass cleaner. If you are using Sarah's recipes from MOPS, its in there and works great!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have all the ingredients to make the laundry soap, but we're still using up our last All. :) I found the recipe online, so I'm glad to know someone has used it before. I actually was going to try it out and then tell you about it!

    ReplyDelete