Monday, October 24, 2011

Good Intentions??

Lately, I have been realizing how my life is filled with good intentions. Before you begin to think how amazing I am with being well intentioned, you need to know that just because I have "good intentions" doesn't mean that I follow through on those intentions. I am super frustrated that I seem to be noticing more and more how I have good intentions to do something and those things are they type of person I want to be, I still have a hard time following through. Let me give you some examples:
  • There is a couple we know who I had intended on inviting over for dinner when they were newly dating because we thought we might have some things in common. We finally did have this couple over, about 3 years later. The couple is now married for over a year and expecting a baby. At least I followed through on this one, but there are many others where I was not so successful.

  • I have an acquaintance in the area who is a friend of my sister who was basically a single mom for over a year while her husband was deployed to Afghanistan. Many times throughout his deployment, I intended to call/email/facebook her to see if I could bring her a meal/babysit/help with household tasks and yet I never did it.
  • I have intended to work out and lose weight as a part of my goals for 2011. I have not really lost any weight, my workouts are inconsistent and it is almost the end of October.
  • I want to be more frugal and have intended to eat out less and cook more and yet we are still on a first name basis with many of the servers at our favorite restaurants.
  • I have great intentions as far home maintenance, cleaning and improvements and even made a chore chart for Mark and I to follow but it has gone by the wayside.
And the list goes on and on...Just blogging about this because it is frustrating to me that in so many areas I don't follow through on things in a way that I would like and that is not the person I want to be. I know that I should probably cut myself some slack because I work full time, have a two year old, a marriage to work at and am super busy in general...but I need to be proactive in being more than someone who has "good intentions." I also realize that many of these things are things that I am not very good at (cooking and cleaning) or don't enjoy very much (exercise and eating right) which makes it harder to follow through on my intentions, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't do it. Maybe by putting it out there in cyberspace, I will be better at taking action rather than just being well intentioned.

Any suggestions on how to have more than just good intentions??

3 comments:

  1. As far as the being more frugal and eating out less, I am ALL about the freezer. I have several recipes that I will make and double, portion out and then freeze. It is honestly the BEST way to eat out less and still eat really yummy meals. Most soups (chili, chicken noodle, beef stew), pasta (baked ziti) and pies (chicken pot pie) freeze wonderfully.
    I can email you recipes if you would like!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sigh.... I am all too familiar with the frustration of unfulfilled 'good intentions'! It doesn't seem like any "ONE" intention could be very daunting or difficult to accomplish, but when added to the list of intentions we DO carry out.. I'll be anxious to see what other responses/suggestions you get, Amy! One of our good intentions is to get together with you, Mark and Anna on more than just an 'annual' basis! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I am in the same boat and feel your pain.... I just do what I can when I can and let the rest be..... You can't be everywhere for everyone at all times. I help out when I can and accept my flaws. I hate cleaning but love cooking! As far as being frugal, I struggle everyday lol. I think you are an amazing person and feel better that I know and associate with you (even if it is only in church)...

    ReplyDelete