Saturday, February 19, 2011

Definitely Disqualified

Well friends, it is official....I have most certainly been disqualified from winning "Mother of the Year." I am incredibly disappointed because I had visions of standing in front of my adoring fans in a size 2 designer dress (don't laugh..this is my dream.) :-) I pictured myself sharing my acceptance speech that started with "I'd like to thank the academy..." while being flanked by celebrities like Zac Efron and Hugh Jackman.

Even when great friends like Heather N. said things like "I am not going to win Mother of the Year, but neither are you" as a form of encouragement, I politely nodded. However, I secretly knew that I was destined to win this prize.

If you look at the facts, it is obvious that I was a serious contender. Here are just a few of the reasons that I thought I had it in the bag:
  • I took Anna to Disney World for her first birthday.
  • I have all of her scrapbooks up to date.
  • And although my house isn't always the cleanest, I was spending the time I should be cleaning with Anna making crafty birthday thank you notes or reading books (that or spending time on Facebook...where I most certainly was gaining valuable parenting skills.) :-)

However, that dream was shattered today at around 4:45 PM. I entered the kitchen to start cooking dinner (an accomplishment in and of itself.) I usually bring Anna into the kitchen when I cook dinner and have her help or play with her toy kitchen set, but she was finishing the rest of a DVR'd episode of Sesame Street (DVRing educational TV...another reason I should have had the Mother of the Year Award in the bag.) I decided to let her finish figuring she would be OK for the few minutes it took to finish receiving words of wisdom from Elmo. While in the kitchen, I heard a loud thud and then screaming. I ran into the living room to find Anna on the floor in front of the couch. I am guessing that since Mommy and Daddy weren't in the room she decided that it was the perfect time to jump on the couch and ended up falling and face planting. She had a bloody lip, swollen nose and a red mark on the forehead. Once the bleeding was stopped and we were certain that we didn't need to take a trip to the ER, I sent Mark to the store for popsicles since she would not put ice packs on the injured areas and figured that was the next best thing and would at least help with swelling on her lips. Like any good mom, I fed her chocolate and fruit snacks while we waited for the popsicles (because it is never to early to learn that certain foods always make you feel better.) :-) Anna was fine the rest of the evening, but I think she will have some interesting marks in the morning.

However, since I left her unattended and she got hurt, I am guessing my chances of being Mother of the Year are no more. Maybe it is time I give up that dream and start aspiring to something else....maybe a TONY Award. My tap teacher told me I looked like a real dancer the other night after I fell while dancing and had several bruises on my knee and elbows. I think that was her subtle way of telling me that I should move on to bigger and better things. :-) Broadway...here I come!!!

3 comments:

  1. Eddie and I always enter the contest every year,and ususally about 12:01 amon new year's day, we get disqualified....ON the bright side, YOU MADE IT TO FEBRUARY...besides, it never gets old to say,"there's always next year" ask the cubs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I'm glad first of all that she is okay. Secondly, Its nice that I have one less person to compete with this year. I believe I 'm still in the running. Ryan's shiner I had nothing to do with, and wasn't even in the same town when it happened. (he was at church with my brother) Our one and only trip to the ER so far this year was Liam when he deicded to prop his feet ON the table and fell back STRAPED into his booster seat. (see..good mom..he was Strapped IN) Mark thus far has been unscathed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa and Beth...I think you both get special consideration simply because you are still sane with 7 kids for Melissa and 3 under the age of 3 for Beth. :-)

    ReplyDelete